There’s a limit on the total amount of benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can get. This is called the benefit cap.

How much you get for certain benefits may go down to make sure the total you get isn’t more than the cap amount.

You’re not affected by the cap if you or your partner work, and either of the following apply:

  • You or your partner are eligible for working tax credit
  • You or your partner get universal credit, and your household income is more than £520 a month after tax and national insurance

The cap applies to the total amount people in your household (you, your partner and any children living with you) get from the following benefits:

Call the department for work and pensions (dwp) if you need help with the benefit cap.

For universal credit
telephone: 0345 600 0723
textphone: 0345 600 0743
monday to friday, 8am to 6pm

You can also contact dwp through the journal in your universal credit online account.

For any other benefits
telephone: 0345 605 7064
textphone: 0345 608 8551
monday to friday, 8am to 6pm