Asbestos

If you live in a property that was built before 2000, asbestos may have been used in your building’s construction.in these cases, it’s important to take extra precautions when doing work on your home.should i be worried?

A material that contains asbestos is only dangerous if it is damaged and the asbestos fibres are released into the air and then inhaled. This can happen during some maintenance or do-it-yourself (diy) activities like drilling, cutting, and most of all, sanding.

If you’re a tenant and planning any diy that involves these kinds of activities, you’ll need to get approval from your housing officer first.

Condensation and mould

Experts agree that with proper ventilation, insulation and heating, condensation can be avoided or reduced.condensation is caused by warm, moist air hitting a cold surface. It is most noticeable in bathrooms and kitchens but it can also affect other rooms.

Bottled gas heaters and paraffin heaters can cause condensation or make the problems worse as they produce large amounts of water. As a result, we advise you not to use these.symptoms of condensation

One of the symptoms of condensation is a black stain on walls and paintwork. You can wash this off using a suitable cleaner or diluted bleach solution. Sometimes you may need to do this more than once. However, if the problem is severe, please report it to your housing officer. 

Pest infestations

You must take responsibility for preventing pest infestations in your home.this means always keeping your home clean and storing food securely.if you find any evidence of mice, cockroaches, pharaoh ants, wasps or any other pests, please contact your local hardware store who should be able to give you advice on which products are best to help get rid of your pest problem.please report any evidence of mice or rats to your housing officer

Resetting a trip switch

If your power goes please check whether it is due to:a prepayment meter with no charge

Works affecting the area (check whether neighbours are affected and use your supplier’s website to check whether there are any scheduled works going on in the area that is causing the power outage)

If it’s none of the above it may be the trip switch and you can reset the ‘trip’ switch yourself, which may turn the power back on.

Modern electric circuits are fitted with a circuit breaker fuse system. If a fault develops, a switch in the consumer unit is tripped and the circuit broken.

Fuses usually trip because either the circuit is overloaded or an appliance is faulty.

Never tamper with the electricity board’s fuse and seals.

In the event of a gas leak or flood do not switch on lights or appliances.

To reset a trip switch

You will need:

  • A torch
  • A step ladder.

The consumer unit can often be found next to the electricity meters.

  1. Unplug all appliances.
  2. Open the cover on the consumer unit to expose the trip switches.
  3. Reset the trip by pushing in the trip button or pushing up the trip switch.
  4. Plug the appliances back one at a time to check if any is faulty and tripping the switch.
  5. Replace the trip cover.

If it didn’t work

If the switch keeps moving back to the ‘off’ position, you’ll need to report it to your housing officer who will arrange for an inspection by an electrician.