Types of tenancy

The property you move into offers you a home as long as you meet your responsibilities as a tenant. When you sign your tenancy agreement you are making a legally binding agreement with us to keep to the terms and accept the responsibilities of the agreement

Ebony housing offers four types of tenancy:

Assured tenancy: this is a periodic tenancy granted to tenants on or after the 15 january 1989. As long as you do not break the terms of the tenancy agreement you may continue to live in the property.

Assured shorthold tenancy: these tenancies have less security of tenure than assured tenancies. We will only issue these in shared housing.

Ending your tenancy: you can end your tenancy with us at any time, you just need to give us at least four weeks written notice. We will then send you a form which you need to complete and return to us to start the moving out process.

Starter tenancies: starter tenancies have a probationary period for one year and during this time you will be an assured short hold tenant. This means that it is easier for us to end your tenancy. Your tenancy will normally change to an assured tenancy after 12 months although we can extend the probationary period if there have been problems with the tenancy.

Mutual exchanges: if you live in self contained housing a mutual exchange lets you exchange your home with another ebony housing tenant, or with a tenant from another housing association or council almost anywhere in the country. To arrange an exchange, contact your council’s housing office or any housing associations with suitable properties in the area you wish to move to.

As long as you do not have rent arrears and your home is suitable for the people you wish to exchange with, we will normally agree to a mutual exchange.